Friday, February 18, 2011

Biblical Love

I was watching Joyce Meyer last night and she was talking about really loving one other, deciding that you won't be bitter and angry & just letting go & letting GOD.  Choosing to love.  Then I get this devotional this morning, so I think, maybe God is trynna tell ME something.........well, I'm listening!


Love Is the Greatest

1) If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2) If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3) If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;[a] but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. 4) Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5) or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6) It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7) Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 8) Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages[b] and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! ~ 1Cor. 13: 1-8 (NLT)

In today’s passage, Paul talks about love and its preeminence over speech, knowledge, generosity, and self-sacrifice (vv. 1-3). The apostle then describes the nature of biblical love, which is patient, kind, humble, and slow to anger (vv. 4-7).

However, we often struggle as we try to practice this model of unselfish affection. One reason is that the godly expression of caring doesn’t come naturally to us. Pure Christian love puts the other person ahead of our own interests, even when our human inclinations clamor to place self first (v. 5).

A second challenge is the temptation to withhold affection until others apologize or change their behavior. We remember their offense long after it has occurred. That’s not what our Lord did—He loved us while we were still sinners and forgave us for everything (Rom. 5:8; Luke 23:34).

Furthermore, it is easier to point out someone else’s unkindness toward us than to see where we have fallen short. Perhaps a close friend has spoken impatiently to us and we responded with angry words. How easily we can use Scripture to point out her mistake, but how hard to admit our own.

We are called to be loving towards God as well as those around us (Mark 12:30-31). We’ve received the Holy Spirit, who will help us learn how to care deeply for others.

Experiencing God’s affection and demonstrating it to others are to be two of our greatest joys. Take time to memorize the attributes of biblical love, and look for ways to practice them in your relationships. In times of stress, think about the list, and let the power of love transform your response.
 
[By Dr Charles Stanley]
 
Be Blessed!
 
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment