Thursday, May 12, 2011

Confidence in God

20) No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God 21) fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22) That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” 23) But the words “it was counted to him” were not just written for his sake alone, 24but for ours also . . . Romans 4:20-24a


Are you a doubting person? Doubt is a lack of confidence or assurance that God will keep His promises, and for the Christian it is a very dangerous attitude. I mean, if you don’t have confidence that God will keep His promises, what do you have?

God has promised to provide for us. Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” No, no—maybe God won’t provide for all of my needs. Maybe I’ll end up poor, and even destitute. That is doubt.

God has promised to protect us. Isaiah 54:17 says, “No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed . . . This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord.” But maybe He won’t protect me, you think. Maybe something awful is going to happen. That’s doubt, too.

God has also promised to prosper us—though, as some are quick to add, that doesn’t necessarily mean financially. But, Psalm 84:11 says, “No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.” But, what if . . . That’s doubt, for sure.


All three of these promises, along with hundreds of others, are signed by God Himself. Why does doubt come so easily?

Doubting is contagious. It’s easier to catch than the common cold. You’ll “catch” it surrounded by people whose lives are filled with doubt.

Doubting is passive. Faith requires action; doubting does not. Nobody ever wakes up in the morning and says, I bet today’s going to be a great day for doubting. Doubting is what takes over when you do nothing.

Doubting satisfies our tendency toward self-protection. Nobody likes to be wrong. What if I step out in faith and trust God for great things, and then nothing happens? I’m going to be disappointed. But you are disappointed because of your doubt.


Doubters are easier to find than friends of faith. How many real, genuine friends of faith do you have? I mean, people who speak the Word of God into your life and fire you up spiritually?  In spiritual matters, doubting is death--plain and simple.

Ask God to grow a heart of faith in you, because you can’t do it on your own. Remember that faith is a gift (Ephesians 2:8). Go to Him humbly as the disciples did, and say, Lord, increase my faith!

Prayer:
Father, You have made so many promises
 to me, yet I struggle with believing them.
Forgive me for doubting You. You are God!
Nothing is too hard for You! Lord,
increase my faith!
 In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Journal:

  •  Am I a doubting person? What am I struggling with most right now?
 
(via James MacDonald)
Be Blessed!
 
Dawn

1 comment: