Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Redefining Time Alone With God

Scripture Of The Day: "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." - Mark 1:35 (NIV)


Marriage has a way of changing your entire perspective. My wife loves spending time alone with me. I venture to say it is one of her favorite activities.

Early in our marriage, I misunderstood what this meant. For me, alone time meant sitting back and watching a movie or a basketball game on television together. This was “good, quality” time. Yet, she longed for more. There was something missing. There were times when she wanted my undivided attention, but I was too busy trying to figure out a movie’s plot or listening to unending commentary about a player’s personal life.

How much more does the Lover of our soul long for that alone time with us? Sure we can turn on a Gospel album and sing along with the lyrics. It might paint a vivid story of who God is and how He has blessed us beyond measure. How is that any different from my idea of movie night representing quality alone time? We might even go to worship every Sunday and listen to what others have to say about our God through the preaching of the Word. How is that any different from me not wanting to miss a word any of the commentators say about my favorite players?

I learned one thing when I began to unplug myself from all the distractions. My relationship with my wife became more intimate. I began to learn things about her I would have never learned had I not taken the time out to do one thing: listen. Many of us have the wrong impression when it comes to alone time with God.

We think alone time is more about the things we say TO Him rather than the things we hear FROM Him.
 
Jesus knew this all too well. Any time he came back from spending alone time with God he would have clear direction in his ministry. This is because he listened more than he spoke. He stole away from all the miracle-seeking crowds. He never let his stature in the community keep him from the one thing that sustained him: spending time alone with God. In the beginning of Mark’s Gospel, he rose “a long while before daylight” to spend alone time with God (Mark 1:35) (Not that early birds are more spiritual than night owls. Find a time that works best for you.) Interestingly enough, when the disciples found Jesus and told him that everyone was looking for him, he said: “Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth” (Mark 1:38). Alone time with God has a way of extracting purpose. It has a way of giving you direction. Most of all, it has a way of allowing you to hear the voice of God.


I can honestly say that my marriage is stronger now than it was before. That’s because I had to recalibrate my idea of what it meant to spend time alone with my wife. Maybe some recalibration is necessary in your life today as it pertains to God. Maybe your relationship with Him isn’t as strong as you’d like. Eliminate some of those distractions that you think might be helping. God longs for more than you listening to a 12-track composition about Him. He longs for more than you recounting what others say about Him. He just wants it to be about you and Him. Try it. I guarantee you will strengthen your bond with our Creator.
 
[By John C. Richards, Jr.]



Be Blessed!
 
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment