Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"How to Handle Criticism"

“I cannot come down…” Nehemiah 6:3
Nehemiah teaches us three important truths about handling criticism:

(1) Expect it. When spectators watch a race, where do they focus their attention? On the front runners! Someone said, “Criticism is something you can avoid easily; by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” But those three options don't work. So Nehemiah answered his critics, “I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down… “ (Nehemiah 6:3). Don't step down to the level of your critics.

(2) Evaluate it. “Sanballat… sent to me, saying, "Come, let us meet… " But they thought to do me harm” (Nehemiah 6:2). When people say, “I'm going to tell you something for your own good,” often they've nothing good to tell you. When you're criticized, ask yourself: (a) 'Who criticized me?' “Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful” (Proverbs 27:6). Has this person earned the right to speak into your life? (b) “Why was this criticism given? Out of a personal hurt, or for my benefit?” Hurting people hurt people; so maintain the right attitude, looking for the grain of truth, making the necessary changes, and taking the high road.

(3) Outlive it. When Nehemiah's friends told him to run and hide, he replied, '"I will not"… So the wall was finished… in fifty-two days… when all our enemies heard of it… they perceived that this work was done by our God' (Nehemiah 6:11-16). Sometimes you're in more danger from the counsel of your friends than you are from the criticism of your enemies. That's when you must know who you are, what God's called you to do, and outlive the criticism!

“At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.” 2 Timothy 4:16-18
 
BE BLESSED & BE A BLESSING TO ONE ANOTHER!
 
DAWN

No comments:

Post a Comment