Saturday, September 12, 2009

A FULL LIFE

Today people are thinking about what to do to prolong their lives, whetherit is through stem cell research, cloning, cryonics, or the latest potionor lotion. I find myself laughing at some of the things I see advertisedwith the implication they will help me live longer. I realize that peoplecan eat all the tofu and wheat germ they want, but their lives will endwhen they are going to end.Yet some people become obsessed with the concept of living longer.According to a LIFE magazine cover story, there are some scientists whosuggest that we can and will stop aging. But the article went on to askwhether we would really want to stop aging.

In other words, do we reallywant to live forever? I guess it comes down to what kind of life you areliving. Medical science can seek to add years to your life, but only Godcan add life to your years and give you a life that is worth living.Our objective as Christians should not be to merely live long lives; ourobjective should be to live full lives, meaningful lives, and purposefullives.Jim Eliot is one example of a Christian who did this. As a young man, hefelt God was calling him to take the gospel to a tribe in Ecuador thenknown as the Auca. Tragically, Jim was martyred along with four othermissionaries in their attempt to share the gospel. Jim once wrote in hisjournal,

"I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus."That is a good thought: Life is not a matter of years; it is a matter of what we do with them. What are you doing with the years God has given you?

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with
the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake
I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage,
so that I could gain Christ. Philippians 3:8
BE BLESSED & BE A BLESSING TO ONE ANOTHER!
DAWN

No comments:

Post a Comment